We are not your typical homeschooling family.
- We *only* have two children. Yes, I recently had a vendor make that blatantly obvious to me at a homeschool convention. Gasp! “You only have two children? That’s must be like a vacation.” Umm..not quite!
- I have worked full-time the entire time we’ve been homeschooling.
- I have not been a Christian all my life. I’ve only recently begun my walk with Jesus and I stumble daily, but He picks me up again.
- My husband is not involved in ministry. In fact he isn’t even a Christian, nor is he involved in any religion.
- Therefore, I am the spiritual leader of our home.
While attending a homeschool convention recently, I became all to aware of our differences with most of the other families there. I began to feel very uncomfortable and seriously doubting my ability to carry on the homeschooling lifestyle. My head was being filled with lies from the Enemy.
Just as I was really starting to believe most of those lies, that still small voice of God calmed my heart as it has done so many times over the past few years. God spoke to me and reminded me why he has called us to this life of home education. He assured me that I wasn’t the only homeschool mom who worked full time. He made me see that I wasn’t the only homeschool mom with an unbelieving husband. He told me there are many mothers out there who are by default the spiritual leaders of their home.
And so the idea for this blog emerged. I’m going to share the ups and downs of our very unconventional homeschooling journey. However, God made it very clear to me that I was to be real. Painfully real. There will be times I will share words that I haven’t shared with a single soul in hopes of it reaching that homeschool mom who is at her wits end and she will say “I’m so glad I’m not the only one”.
Our lives have been shaken up. There are days where I’m stretched so thin, I’m convinced I will break, that I can’t do it another day. But through it all, our Father has sustained me and his mercies are new every morning. Aren’t you glad?
More often than not this world has flipped me over and I really am upside down homeschooling, but it’s His grace that sets my world straight again.
My prayer is that through my words, you will see Christ’s love for you. That my experiences, good times and bad, will be an encouragement to you. You will know that you are not alone and that even on the worst day joy will come in the morning.
Will you join me in the journey?