Coming up with a name for your homeschool isn’t as easy as it sounds.
Some states require your homeschool to have a name and others do not. However there are benefits for naming your homeschool. Many companies offer discounts to homeschooler, but most will ask for the name of your school.
Some parents put a lot of thought into the name of their homeschool and personally I think that is a wise decision.
If you are planning to homeschool through high school, then keep in mind that this name will be used on college applications, scholarship applications and ultimately job applications.
Do you need some help coming up with a name for your homeschool?
Consider these five points:
1. Choose a name that is meaningful to your family. I have friends who use their street name in their homeschool name. Do you have a family motto or life verse that could be incorporated into your school name? Maybe a family name could be used?
2. Choose a name that sounds professional. My mom and I joke that our school name is Kitchen Table Elementary, but realistically speaking, we would never use this name. Remember, you are operating a school and you want people to take you seriously.
3. Along the same lines as the previous point, choose a name that will last through your homeschooling career. You wouldn’t want to put the word “elementary” in your name if you plan on using that same name through high school.
4. Make naming your homeschool into a fun, family activity. Let everyone share ideas and then vote on the favorite. You can also include school colors, motto and mascot into this activity.
5. Make sure you are satisfied with the name you choose! Some states will not allow you to change the name once it has been submitted. NC is one of those states, so we took extra caution in choosing our school name.
If you missed it during the homeschool quotes series last week, our homeschool is named Pathways Academy after the Robert Frost poem “The Road Not Taken”. We are choosing the road less traveled in hopes that it will truly make all the difference in the lives of our children.
What is the name of your homeschool and how did you choose this name?
Latest posts by Heather Bowen (see all)
- A Summer Girl’s Guide to Cheap and Simple Hair Removal - July 29, 2014
- Homeschool Mommy Wars - July 22, 2014
- Friends & Heroes Review & Giveaway - July 17, 2014